Your browser version is no longer supported, so you may experience issues while using this site.
Please upgrade to a current browser to enjoy the best experience.
How Portable Valuables Insurance can come in handy as phone insurance
Many of us can’t survive without our mobile phones. We take them everywhere with us, often relying on them to stay in touch with friends and family, and store important information. Not to mention taking photos of brunch. So what would happen if you lost or damaged your phone while out and about?
Fret less! That’s where Extra Cover for Portable Valuables – an optional cover for your AAMI Contents Insurance – can help.
Portable Valuables Cover saves the day
“It was a Saturday night, we’d been out for dinner late, and had taken an Uber home,” Sarah tells us. “It wasn’t until about an hour later that I realised my phone wasn’t in my bag where I thought it was, and I must have left it in the Uber.”
Sarah’s purse with all her bank cards was also attached to the missing phone, leaving her without a way to access her money. Despite utilising her best detective skills, she had to cancel her cards and didn’t recover her phone until a few days later. It had been on quite the adventure, and was found damaged and dumped on the side of the road 75km away from her home.
What is Portable Valuables Cover?
While your AAMI Contents Insurance is designed to cover loss or damage to belongings at your insured address due to an event like fire, flood or burglary – Portable Valuables Cover is for items that you take with you away from home (within Australia and New Zealand).
Take Sarah’s case for example. Her damaged mobile phone wasn’t covered by her Home & Contents policy, because it wasn’t lost at her insured address. She could only make a claim because she had added Portable Valuables Insurance as an optional extra.
Sarah made the decision to get specific phone insurance by adding her mobile as a specified portable valuable to her policy.
“My phone is only 4 months old and I bought it outright for quite a lot of money,” Sarah says. “When I added it as a specified portable valuable I was definitely thinking I want this thing to last!”
At the same time as insuring her mobile phone, she also added her new laptop to her policy – another important item that she carries around with her everyday.
Portable Valuables Cover is ideal for your personal items like:
- Mobile phones
- Laptops and tablets
- Jewellery, watches, handbags or wallets
- Sporting, recreational and leisure goods and equipment
- Photographic equipment
- GPS or navigational devices.
Items worth over $1,000 or high risk items (including mobile phones) need to be insured for a specified amount to ensure they are thoroughly covered if anything happens. You can find out more about the specific details of Portable Valuables by reading the PDS.
How to claim on your Portable Valuables Cover
AAMI makes the claims process easy! If you need to make a claim on your Portable Valuables Cover, ensure you can provide details of the incident. Gather evidence and images if you can. Then, lodge a claim via the AAMI app, on our website, or by calling our claims team on 13 22 44.
Sarah’s top tips for keeping your mobile phone safe
Following the ordeal of losing her mobile phone, Sarah has learned a lot about phone safety precautions. Her top tips for keeping your phone safe are:
- Don’t leave it in an Uber (well… obviously)
- If you can’t be trusted with the above, keep an old phone on hand as a backup option in case you do lose your phone
- Keep your packaging! The box your mobile phone comes in will have the specific product information (including the serial number) you need to report the loss to police or to make a claim. This can also serve as proof of ownership (along with receipts, photographs, repair reports or bank statements), which you might need to get your claim approved
- Sync up your Google or iCloud account. Then, you can use a Find My Phone/Find My iPhone app to track it if it’s lost
- Secure your phone in a durable case, to avoid damage if it does go on adventures without you
- Consider getting Portable Valuables Cover, and specify your mobile phone so it’s thoroughly covered for loss or damage.
Find out more about how AAMI's Portable Valuables Cover can protect your mobile phone, or call our friendly team on 13 22 44 to add it to your AAMI Contents Insurance.