AAMI SmartPlates Privacy Statement
Privacy is Important…
…especially when you consider the number of ways we communicate and interact these days. That's why we've put together this statement. It explains how we collect, use and disclose your personal information and who we share it with.
It's written in plain English, so it's easy to understand. And because it's guided by the privacy law, you can be sure it takes your rights seriously.
Above all, this statement is your assurance that we never take your privacy for granted and always take the utmost care in protecting your personal information.
AAI Limited trading as AAMI, is a member of the Suncorp Group, which we'll refer to simply as “the Group”. For the purposes of this Privacy Statement, 'we', 'our' or 'us' means AAMI.
Why do we collect personal information?
Personal information is information or an opinion about an identified individual or an individual who is reasonably identifiable. We collect personal information so that we can:
- identify you and conduct appropriate checks;
- where you are a learner driver, assist the relevant State/Territory government driving authorities to assess whether you meet learner driving log book requirements when you provide your log book to the State/Territory authority;
- where you are a supervisor or instructor, assist the relevant State/Territory government driving authorities to assess whether the learner driver has met their learner driving requirements, including any supervised driving requirements when the learner driver provides their log book to the State/Territory authority;
- where you are a learner driver without existing access to AAMI Online, register you for AAMI Online where you can access some AAMI SmartPlates App ('App') information;
- where you are a learner driver, supervisor or instructor with existing access to AAMI Online, connect App information to and display App information on your existing AAMI Online account;
- where you are a learner driver, provide you with any benefits or rewards derived from your use of the App;
- contact you in relation to your use of the App;
- understand your requirements and provide you with a product or service;
- set up, administer and manage our products and services, including providing you with any benefits or rewards derived from the App and underwriting and pricing your policy or any of our products or services; including the management and administration of underwriting and claims, and obtaining loan assessments and credit reports;
- assess and investigate any claims you make under one or more of our products;
- manage, train and develop our employees and representatives;
- manage complaints and disputes, and report to dispute resolution bodies;
- understand, analyse and profile a range of driving behaviours and other data related to driving and/or location; and
- get a better understanding of you, your needs, your behaviours and how you interact with us, so we can engage in product and service research, development and business strategy including managing the delivery of our services and products via the ways we communicate with you.
What happens if you don't give us your personal information?
If we ask for your personal information and you don't give it to us, we may not be able to provide you with any, some, or all of the features of our AAMI SmartPlates App or products or services.
How we handle your personal information
We collect your personal information directly from you and, in some cases, from other people or organisations. We also provide your personal information to other related companies in the Group, and they may disclose or use your personal information for the purposes described in 'Why do we collect personal information?' in relation to products and services they may provide to you. They may also use your personal information to help them provide products and services to other customers, but they'll never disclose your personal information to another customer without your consent.
Under various laws, we will/may be authorised or required to collect your personal information. These laws include the: Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act 2006; Personal Property Securities Act 2009; Corporations Act 2001; Autonomous Sanctions Act 2011; Income Tax Assessment Act 1997; Income Tax Assessment Act 1936; Income Tax Regulations 1936; Tax Administration Act 1953; Tax Administration Regulations 1976; A New Tax System (Goods and Services Tax) Act 1999; and the Australian Securities and Investments Commission Act 2001 as those laws are amended, and includes any associated regulations.
We will use and disclose your personal information for the purposes we collected it as well as purposes that are related, where you would reasonably expect us to. We may be required or compelled at law to provide certain information, such as an enforcement or regulatory body request, a court order or a subpoena. We may disclose your personal information to and/or collect your personal information from:
- Ogilvy & Mather (Melbourne) ABN 80 006 497 561;
- other companies within the Group and other trading divisions or departments within the same company;
- any of our Group joint ventures where authorised or required;
- customer, product, business or strategic research and development organisations;
- data warehouse, strategic learning organisations, data partners, analytic consultants;
- social media and other virtual communities and networks where people create, share or exchange information;
- publicly available sources of information;
- clubs, associations, member loyalty or rewards programs and other industry relevant organisations;
- a third party that we've contracted to provide financial services, financial products or administrative services – for example:
- information technology providers,
- administration or business management services, consultancy firms, auditors and business management consultants,
- marketing agencies and other marketing service providers,
- claims management service providers
- print/mail/digital service providers, and
- imaging and document management services;
- any intermediaries, including your agent, adviser, a broker, a representative or person acting on your behalf, other Australian Financial Services Licensee or our authorised representatives, advisers and our agents;
- a third party claimant or witnesses in a claim;
- accounting or finance professionals and advisers;
- government, statutory or regulatory bodies and enforcement bodies;
- policy or product holders or others who are authorised or noted on the policy as having a legal interest, including where you are an insured person but not the policy or product holder;
- the Financial Ombudsman Service Australia and the Superannuation Complaints Tribunal or any other external dispute resolution body;
- other insurers, reinsurers, insurance investigators and claims or insurance reference services, loss assessors, financiers;
- legal and any other professional advisers or consultants;
- debt collection agencies;
- any other organisation or person, where you've asked them to provide your personal information to us or asked us to obtain personal information from them, e.g. your mother.
We'll use a variety of methods to collect your personal information from, and disclose your personal information to, these persons and organisations, including written forms, telephone calls and via electronic delivery. We may collect and disclose your personal information to these persons and organisations during the information life cycle, regularly, or on an ad hoc basis, depending on the purpose of collection.
Sometimes, we need to provide your personal information to – or get personal information about you from – persons located overseas, for the same purposes as in 'Why do we collect personal information?'
From time to time, we may need to disclose your personal information to, and collect your personal information from, other countries not on this list. Nevertheless, we will always disclose and collect your personal information in accordance with privacy laws.
Your personal information and our marketing practices
Every now and then, we and any related companies that use the AAMI brand might let you know – including via the App, mail, SMS, email, telephone or online – about news, special offers, products and services that you might be interested in. We will engage in marketing unless you tell us otherwise. You can contact us to update your marketing preferences at any time.
In order to carry out our direct marketing we collect your personal information from and disclose it to others that provide us with specialised data matching, trending or analytical services, as well as general marketing services (you can see the full list of persons and organisations under 'How we handle your personal information'). We may use online targeted marketing, data and audience matching and market segmentation to improve advertising relevance to you.
We may also collect your personal information for marketing through competitions and by purchasing contact lists. We, and other people who provide us with services, may combine the personal information collected from you or others, with the information we, or companies in our Group, or our service providers already hold about you.
How to access and correct your personal information or make a complaint
The Policy also includes information about how you can complain about a breach of the Australian Privacy Principles and how we'll deal with such a complaint. You can get a copy of the Suncorp
For more information about our privacy practices including overseas disclosure or to tell us about your marketing preferences you can visit:
- Visit www.aami.com.au/privacy
- Email us at email@example.com
- Speak to us directly by phoning one of our Sales & Service Consultants on 13 2244