Your browser version is no longer supported, so you may experience issues while using this site.
Please upgrade to a current browser to enjoy the best experience.

Are outdoor living areas covered by Home Insurance?


Maybe! Your outdoor living space might be covered by Home Building Insurance, depending on what it includes and what sort of policy you have. A Home Building Insurance policy will generally cover permanent structures and fixtures while a Home Contents Insurance policy will generally cover stuff that is not permanently attached to your property, like furniture. There are a few areas where the distinction might get a little fuzzy, but we can help clear things up!

So, before you go shopping for a new al fresco dining set to pop into a fancy outdoor entertaining area, consider whether your insurance will cover it.

Explore AAMI Home and Contents Insurance

Are outdoor kitchens covered by Home Insurance?

The permanent structure of your outdoor kitchen, including all the cupboards and drawers, would generally be covered under an AAMI Building Insurance policy.

Are barbecues covered?

Before you throw another shrimp on the barbie, you might want to check that it’s covered! An installed BBQ that is permanently attached to the property would be covered under a Building Insurance policy, while something standalone like a Weber would be considered part of your contents. If you have a combined Home and Contents Insurance policy, of course, you’d be covered either way.

Are outdoor TVs & entertainment systems covered?

Playing some tunes or putting on the Friday night game can help bring an outdoor entertainment space to life. But entertainment gear can cost a pretty penny to replace, so you may want to check they’re covered! An outdoor TV or stereo would probably be considered contents, as they’re usually not permanently attached to the property.

Are decks, verandas, pagodas, and pergolas covered?

Covered areas like decks, verandas, and pergolas are the heart of your outdoor living space. Fortunately, since they’re permanently attached to the property, these are included under your Building Insurance policy.

Everything else

From artwork to pot plants to fancy-schmancy lighting, there’s almost no end to what you can add to your outdoor space to really put your stamp on it. Before you go all out, have a read of the AAMI Home Contents Insurance Product Disclosure Statement to learn more about what is and isn’t covered under Home Building or Home Contents insurance. If you’re still not sure, feel free to get in touch.

What to do if you renovate or add an outdoor living space to your home

If you add a new outdoor area to your home as part of a reno, let us know. Doing so will ensure that your policy properly reflects your property and that your sum insured includes enough money to repair or rebuild your new addition, just in case. You can call us on 13 22 44.  

Read more:

Insurance is issued by AAI Limited ABN 48 005 297 807 AFSL 230859 (AAI) trading as AAMI. Any advice has been prepared without taking into account your particular objectives, financial situation or needs, so you should consider whether it is appropriate for you before acting on it. Please read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement before you make any decision regarding this product. The Target Market Determination is also available.