Your browser version is no longer supported, so you may experience issues while using this site.
Please upgrade to a current browser to enjoy the best experience.

Residential Investment

Building Insurance for Landlords

If you're a landlord renting out a residential property, make sure your building is well covered. Option to cover your furnishings too.

Get a quote online
SAVE $25

Get a quote

We've got you well covered

Giving you peace of mind

  • Damage to or loss of your rented property's buildings, including garages, sheds and car ports

    Caused by fire, break-ins or weather events such as flood, storms, lightning, bushfires, earthquake, tsunamis – and even meteorites!

  • Damage to other people and their property

    Up to $20 million cover for your legal liability for an incident at your rental property connected to you owning the property.

  • Add cover for the contents owned by you, such as carpets, curtains, furniture and white goods. 

    Looking to cover contents in a tenanted property, including strata properties? You'll need Landlord Contents Insurance.

This is just a summary. For full details about what is and isn't covered, check the PDS (Product Disclosure Statement) It's dry, we know, but it's essential reading.

Strata Title

Strata title commonly refers to units/flats, apartments or townhouses, with common areas such as stairways, foyers, roof-top gardens, lifts and even swimming pools shared by each owner. A body corporate, or strata or owners corporation, is set up to handle maintenance of common areas and insurance of the buildings.

Strata title can also refer to duplex and triplex houses that share, for example, only a driveway or garden area.

This is just a summary. For full details, check the PDS (Product Disclosure Statement). It's dry, we know, but it's essential reading.


Paperless claims

Claim online now
Landlord Insurance does not cover strata title buildings.

So if your rental property is on a shared block or shares walls with other properties, you may need Strata Insurance.

If your property is

Sum Insured (Landlord Building)

The amount you choose to insure your rental property for, which is the maximum we'll pay to repair or rebuild it in the event of an incident. 

It's important that the amount accurately reflects the replacement value of your home building. We recommend seeking the services of an architect, builder or other qualified professional for an accurate estimate. There are also numerous free calculators on Australian websites to help you work it out.

If your property is

  • Repair or rebuild up to the Sum Insured
  • Rental payments
    Up to the lesser of 52 weeks rent or $25,000

If your landlord contents* are
damaged or stolen

  • Quick repair or replacement
    Up to your Sum Insured within limits
  • New for old replacement
  • Storage of undamaged landlord contents
    Up to 10% of Sum Insured
*Only available with Contents added on this policy

Landlord contents

Landlord contents are household goods and furnishings that: 

  • you (the Landlord) own or are legally responsible for 
  • you leave in the property for the tenant’s domestic use
  • aren’t attached to the building

Think of it as everything you’d usually take with you if you sold your property, for example, carpets, curtains, furniture, kitchenware, washing machines and TVs.

Plus, if you have a unit or other strata title property, it also includes fittings that aren’t legally part of the owners’ corporation, such as a floating wooden floor or air conditioning unit.

This is just a summary. For full details, check the PDS (Product Disclosure Statement). It's dry, we know, but it's essential reading.

Sum Insured (Landlord Contents)

The total amount you choose to insure the contents you own in your rental property for. It’s the maximum we’ll pay to repair or replace them in the event of an incident.

It’s important that the ‘Sum Insured’ accurately reflects the replacement value of your contents.

This is just a summary. For full details check the PDS (Product Disclosure Statement). It's dry, we know, but it's essential reading.

Landlord contents limits

Some content items have a 'fixed limit', which is the most we'll pay for that particular item.

For example, the most we'll pay for a hand woven carpet or rug is $1,000.

This is just a summary. For full details, check the PDS (Product Disclosure Statement). It's dry, we know, but it's essential reading.

Wait, there's more!

Optional extras


Tenant Protection

Extra cover to protect you against the costs of unpaid rent, and theft or malicious damage by your tenant or their guests.

Learn more

Complete Replacement Cover

Our best protection against underinsurance. With no set limit, we cover the rebuilding of your home, no matter the cost to us.

Learn more
Landlord insurance

Frequently asked questions

We’d like to introduce you to AAMI Lucky Club, a place where our customers come to get exclusive access to amazing experiences. Because at AAMI, we’re an insurance company that’s not very insurancey.

We partner

Special access to great
shows, concerts and


We add a little
something extra just
for you.

And you get 

We package the experience for you to enjoy with family and friends.

Back to AAMI after a poor experience with YOUI!. Found this on-line renewal fairly straightforward.

Customer Rating 4.0 stars out of 5 stars 4.0 stars out of 5 stars Customer Rating

by cactusman from NSW on Building Insurance for Landlords

Reviews managed and sourced by BazaarVoice.

Helping you get a better deal

Smart ways to lower your premium

Increase your excess

Sounds complex but it's very easy! With AAMI Flexi-Premiums®, you can choose to increase your excess to lower your premium.

Pay annually

Pay it in one go! You can save with us by choosing to pay your policy annually, since paying in monthly instalments costs a bit more.