Bushfire Support

If you’re an AAMI customer who’s been affected by bushfire, we’re here to help.

Get in Touch

How to make a claim

Make a claim online 24/7, or give us a call on 13 22 44.

Online resources

Make a claim

Update my info

Find my policy

or are you

Looking for something else

What to do

If you’ve been affected

  1. Make sure everyone is safe
    Seek any medical, emotional or practical support you and your family may need, and check on your friends and neighbours if safe to do so.
  2. Make sure your property is safe
    Wait for your local fire authority to confirm it’s safe before you return. Check whether your utilities – gas, electricity, etc – are functional and safe to use.
    If your house isn’t safe to live in, we may help cover the cost of temporary accommodation.
  3. Assess the damage
    Taking photos of damaged areas can help the claim process. If you can’t get photos, don’t stress – you can still lodge a claim.
    Likewise, supporting documents such as receipts and valuation reports can help, but aren’t required to lodge a claim. It can be better to get the ball rolling ASAP and we’ll let you know if any other info is needed.
  4. Lodge your claim
    You can do this online, via the AAMI App, or over the phone by calling 13 22 44.

Temporary accommodation

You may be entitled to costs for up to 52 weeks of temporary accommodation* (up to 10% of the building sum insured) if your home is unsafe to live in. If you’re not sure whether this applies to you, check your policy documents or get in touch to discuss your options.

If you wind up living somewhere other than home for an extended period of time, there are a few things you should remember to do:

  • Turn the gas and water at your vacant property off at the mains.
    This is both a safety measure and a way to ensure you’re paying minimal bills for a house you’re not living in.
  • Contact your utility providers.
    They may need to know if your property will be unoccupied for a while.
  • Redirect your mail.
    You can do this via Australia Post, and it’ll ensure that you keep getting your mail at your temporary home.

What to expect after you’ve lodged your claim

We’ll assess the damage based on the info you provide, and request additional details if necessary.

If urgent action is required, such as arranging temporary accommodation, we’ll advise on that ASAP.

If we accept your claim, we’ll advise you of next steps once our assessment is complete. This could mean arranging repairs, a full rebuild of your home, replacement of your damaged contents, or a cash settlement, depending on your circumstances.

The amount that we’ll pay for any of the above depends on whether your policy has a set sum insured – in which case, that’s the most we’ll pay – or you’ve taken up the option of Complete Replacement Cover. Complete Replacement Cover can give you peace of mind that we'll repair or rebuild your home as it was or pay you the amount of the assessed quote to do so without you having to set a specific sum insured limit.

If you’re not sure which of the above applies to your policy, you’ll be able to check that quickly and easily online, via the app, or by giving us a call.

Handy links

More info about what to do may be available via state or federal government services.

* Accepted Home Building claims only. Limits and conditions apply, check your policy documents for details.