Short-term rego: Can you register your car for 6 months?


The short answer is yes – depending on your circumstances. In some cases, you can even get a three month term. We go over who’s eligible, as well as the costs of a short-term car registration.

Why people choose short-term regos

Some people want flexibility and prefer not to sign up for a 12-month registration – this may be especially useful if you’re about to sell your car.  

Short-term regos are also more affordable, because you won’t have to pay for 12 months upfront.

Are you eligible for a short-term car registration?

Light vehicles (including the typical family car)

6-month regos are usually available for most vehicles, Australia-wide. For example:

  • cars,
  • utes,
  • vans and
  • motorbikes.

Heavy vehicles

Things may vary state by state when it comes to heavier vehicles, like trailers and caravans.

Some states, like Victoria, don’t allow short-term regos for these vehicles. Heavy vehicle drivers in NSW or Queensland looking for short regos may have better luck — three to six-month regos for heavy trailers and other vehicles are common in these states.

When in doubt, check what your state’s transport authority has to say.

What about a 6-month CTP Green Slip?

What’s CTP or Green Slip Insurance? It covers your liability if someone is injured or killed in an accident involving your vehicle. It’s compulsory in all states of Australia.

Does it come with your rego?

It depends which state you live in. If you’re from NSW, you’ll need to purchase CTP as a separate step before you renew your rego.

Get a CTP quote 

With AAMI, you can choose either a 6 or 12-month term, provided you pay for both the Green Slip and rego within 21 days of the due date.

If you live outside of NSW, CTP is typically included with your rego. In some states, you may need to select AAMI as your preferred insurer when you register your car.*

Do I still need other car insurance products?

CTP only covers your liability in the case of death or injury — it doesn’t cover damage to other people’s property, or your own car.

All levels of AAMI Car Insurance cover:

  • damage to other people’s cars and property (up to 20 mil) and
  • up to $5000 in damage to your car by uninsured drivers (if the uninsured driver is entirely at fault and you can provide their name, address and rego details).

If you want to cover your own vehicle for scenarios beyond the above, consider Comprehensive Insurance.

Explore Car Insurance 

What does a car registration cost?

It depends on:

  • the type of rego – whether it’s new or a renewal
  • your state
  • the vehicle you’re registering and
  • whether you’re entitled to a concession.

A service fee may apply for short-term regos

A short-term rego fee typically applies each time you renew. Check with your state transport authority for information about fees.

Read more:



* AAMI offers CTP Insurance in NSW and South Australia, and MAI Insurance in the ACT. AAMI does not currently offer CTP Insurance in Queensland, however AAMI is part of the Suncorp Network, which also includes Suncorp Insurance - Queensland's largest CTP insurer.


Insurance issued by AAI Limited ABN 48 005 297 807 trading as AAMI. Read the Product Disclosure Statement before buying this insurance. Go to for a copy. This advice has been prepared without taking into account your particular objectives, financial situation or needs, so you should consider whether it is appropriate for you before acting on it.