Your browser version is no longer supported, so you may experience issues while using this site.
Please upgrade to a current browser to enjoy the best experience.
What is accidental damage cover?
Your typical home or contents insurance policy protects you against loss or damage from events like a storm, fire or theft — but it doesn’t always cover you for items you lose or accidentally damage. That’s where cover for Accidental Damage at Home comes in.
What’s covered as accidental loss or damage?
Some examples of accidental loss or damage include:
- A wall is damaged when you move the couch to make way for the vacuum cleaner.
- Damage to roof tiles and the gutter when someone slips on the roof while cleaning the gutters.
- You try to put that new art piece on the wall but accidentally take a chunk of plaster with you while hanging it.
- While playing active video games like tennis, the remote-control slips and cracks the TV screen…nasty.
- Your darling daughter draws in permanent marker all over the couch, entertainment unit and carpet…uh, oh!
- You lose your wedding ring (limits apply to jewellery unless you increase them).
- You have bub in one hand and a laptop in the other, and the laptop slips and the screen shatters.
What’s not covered as accidental loss or damage?
- Shoddy workmanship owing to that DIY barn door installation that didn’t work out as planned!
- Wear and tear of your couch or other furniture.
- The gradual deterioration of something with age, like your coffee machine.
- Deliberate or reckless acts of breakage like smashing your TV when your footy team loses.
Is it worth getting cover for accidental damage?
Accidents happen no matter how careful we are. If you have AAMI Home and/or Contents Insurance, it could be worth considering upgrading your policy to include optional cover for Accidental Damage at Home.
Got an AAMI policy?
Still considering AAMI?
When you get a new AAMI Home Insurance quote, just select the Accidental Damage at Home Optional Cover.
Need to make a claim?
Why claim online?
- Claim 24/7 – anytime, anywhere
- Simple guided claims process
- Track or update your claim at any time
- Manage photos and documents easily
Oh dear! That's a bum note! Luckily, AAMI offers the option of Accidental Damage cover for your Home Building and Contents. Does your insurer offer this? AAMI Does.
- AAMI's top home insurance claims in Australia - Are you covered?
- Guide to home insurance for renters
- How Portable Valuables Insurance can come in handy as phone insurance
Insurance is issued by AAI Limited ABN 48 005 297 807 AFSL 230859 trading as AAMI. Any advice has been prepared without taking into account your particular objectives, financial situation or needs, so you should consider whether it is appropriate for you before acting on it. Please read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement before you make any decision regarding this product. The Target Market Determination is also available.