5 types of tradies that need insurance

Some rivalries go back to the beginning of time. Sparkies vs. Chippies. Plumbers vs. Gardeners. Painters vs. everyone. But whether your ‘Excalibur’ is a hammer, a spanner or a brush, it’s important to be covered by tradies insurance if things don’t go to plan. Here are 5 types of tradespeople that may need to be insured and the kinds of cover they may need most.


If you’re an electrician you know how important it is to take steps to steer clear of nasty shocks. You don’t want to get a financial shock either, so it’s important to be properly insured. From fitting downlights to wiring air-cons, you probably rely on a van or ute to zip from job to job. It’s your office and your toolbox, and if it gets damaged or stolen you could be out of action for a while.

Commercial Motor Insurance can cover your vehicle from accidental damage and make sure you get back on the road quickly after the event of an accident. It’s also worth considering Portable and Valuable Items Insurance to cover your trade supplies, such as double adaptors, light switches, and bayonet fittings, as well as your tools of the trade, which can ensure that your trusty ‘Excalibur’ is protected.


From burst pipes to blocked drains, plumbers are masters of fixing other people’s problems. But if a customer falls on a wet, slippery surface or trips over a yet-to-be-fitted pipe you could find yourself in hot water.

You don’t want to get caught up public liability creek without an insurance paddle. Public Liability Insurance can cover the cost of damages if your business is found responsible for personal injury to a third party or damage to their property, for example if a customer’s house or belongings are damaged while you’re working. And it’s not just your customer’s belongings that you need to worry about; should your own tools or supplies get accidentally lost or damaged, Portable and Valuable Items Insurance can help make sure it’s not money down the drain.


From drills and nail guns to saws and grinders, if you’re a chippy, your tools are your livelihood. Maybe you also rely on a ute to get from jobsite to jobsite. There’s an old carpenter saying – measure twice, cut once. When it comes to protecting your stuff, it’s better to be safe than sorry, after all, your tools are king – Portable and Valuable Items Insurance can be a great way to keep them safe. With cover for your important equipment and trade supplies, you won’t have to down tools for too long if they’re stolen or damaged. It’s important to note that limits and excess apply, and items (tools, equipment, supplies etc.) worth more than $2,500 must be specified on your policy to receive cover up to their replacement value.

You might also want your trusty ute to be covered for legal liability and accidental damage. That’s where Comprehensive Commercial Motor Insurance can come in handy.


With ladders, loppers, chainsaws and mowers, gardeners and arborists use some hefty machinery. If a tree branch accidentally falls on a neighbour’s roof or through their window you could be out of pocket and out of action.

With Public Liability Insurance by your side you could be covered from an accident involving damage to someone’s property. Whether it’s a fallen tree or a ladder damaging the paint of a customer’s car, Public Liability Insurance can provide cover for your business against liability claims. It can also be pretty tough getting from job to job should something happen to your ute, van or 4WD. Comprehensive Commercial Motor Insurance can help cover loss, damage and legal liability, should your vehicle be stolen or damaged in an accident.


Whether it’s a warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse or doghouse, painters know how to cover buildings to keep them safe from the elements. Make sure you cover your business too by brushing up on insurance for tradies.

Are you a painter who relies on a van to get from site to site? Comprehensive Commercial Motor Insurance can provide cover for your vehicle, so you can get back on the road if something happens to your wheels. And with Portable and Valuable Items Insurance adding that extra ‘coat’ to cover your tools and trade supplies, you won’t be painted into a corner should something happen to your vital equipment.


Remember, this isn’t a comprehensive list – the sort of trade business you operate will impact the different types of tradies insurance that could be right for your needs. And knowing what’s the right tool for the job isn’t always an easy decision, which is why AAMI’s here to help. Give us a call now on 13 22 44 (8.30am – 6pm AEST/AEDT, Mon-Fri) to have a chat about your tradie insurance needs, or get a quote online and make sure you have the right insurance tools for your everyday job.

Disclaimer: Insurance is issued by AAI Limited ABN 48 005 297 807 trading as AAMI Business Insurance. Any advice has been prepared without taking into account your particular objectives, financial situation or needs, so you should consider whether it is appropriate for you before acting on it. Please read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement before you make any decision regarding this product. The Target Market Determination is also available.

The information is intended to be of general nature only. Subject to any rights you may have under any law, we do not accept any legal responsibility for any loss or damage, including loss of business or profits or any other indirect loss, incurred as a result of reliance upon the information. Please make your own enquiries.