Driving offroad

Does car insurance cover driving off road and on beaches?



 If you’re looking for 4x4 insurance or 4WD insurance, you don’t have to go looking for a specific type of AAMI policy. Our car insurance policies provide cover when you drive your car off-road for private and recreational use – whether you’re driving a car or 4x4. This means you can take your 4wd out and be covered for those weekend getaways.

To maintain your off-road coverage, you need to take reasonable precautions. Whether you’re in a 4WD or something smaller, you may not be covered when driving on a beach or dirt track if:

  • your vehicle is in an un-roadworthy condition when you head out
  • you were using your vehicle in a race, contest, competition, trial, test, hill climb or any motor sport, or
  • the vehicle was damaged further as a result of it being driven after an incident
  • if you’re driving at a dedicated 4WD test track or park. These test track or parks are designed to test the 4WD capability of the vehicle. 

Optional covers still apply

When you’re off-road, your optional covers are still included. When you take out a policy with us, you can choose from the below options.

Comprehensive Car 

Customise your car insurance so you’re getting the level of cover you need when driving, with Optional Covers like Roadside Assistance, Hire Car, and Windscreen and Glass Repairs

Third Party Property

Customise your Third Party Property cover with optional cover for:

  • Damage by fire1
  • Theft or attempted theft2
  • Hire car after theft for up to 21 days​3, or 
  • Up to $500 for personal items4.

​Considerations for your insurance when driving off-road


It’s important to let us know about any modifications you make to your vehicle. Not telling us means your car insurance policy isn’t an accurate representation of your vehicle, which could affect the outcome of any potential claims you make.

  • ‘Modifications’ include any legal changes to the manufacturer’s standard body, engine, suspension, wheels or paintwork of your vehicle that could affect its performance, value, safety or appearance. This could be something like a change to the ride height for your 4x4. Illegal modifications could void your policy (e.g., exceeding the limit when adjusting your 4x4’s ride height or removing your Diesel Particulate Filter
  • ‘Accessories’ are additions to your car that don’t change the car’s performance or change its structure.

Hire car after accident

If you have an event that is covered by your policy when driving off-road and you have optional hire care after an incident cover, you may be eligible for a hire car while your vehicle is being repaired. Check out your policy document for a full run-down of what is included in your policy, including hire car information.

Roadside Assist

If you have optional Roadside Assist with us, you can still access this service when driving off-road. However, it may not be available to you if any of the following apply:

  • Your vehicle is located in a restricted access area except where we can enter the premises and you’re willing to cover any associated costs.
  • Your vehicle is located in an area that a two wheel drive recovery car cannot access by permanent road.
  • There are no service providers within 100km of your breakdown location, or you are in an inaccessible location.

Roadside Assist typically applies to instances where you might have run out of fuel, you have an electrical problem, or you have a flat tyre. Driving off-road in an area that is either restricted or we can’t get to because of the terrain may mean your Roadside Assist cover doesn’t apply. 

Off-road recovery costs

If you’ve damaged your vehicle when driving off-road and we either can’t access it – because of terrain or its distance from from adequate resources, like towing services – or your event isn’t covered by your policy, you might have to pay for the retrieval and repairs of your 4x4.

Animal collisions when driving off-road

AAMI Comprehensive Car Insurance s may cover damage to your car in the event of an unintentional collision with animals or wildlife, as long as any of the factors that could affect your coverage (listed above) don’t apply. You might be insured up to the amount covered for your car, as listed on your Certificate of Insurance. 

AAMI Third Party Property Damage and Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Insurance won’t cover damage to your 4x4 after an incident. Of course, if you’re injured in a not-at-fault collision with wildlife, CTP insurance may cover associated rehabilitation and medical expenses. Check out your relevant policy document to find out about any conditions or exclusions that could apply.

Explore coverage that suits your needs and get a quote from AAMI below! 


AAMI Car Insurance


Read more:



1If your car is damaged by fire or a total loss, we cover repairs or pay you the amount covered you have chosen (up to $10,000) less any deductions.

2If your car is stolen or damaged by someone attempting to steal it, we cover repairs or pay you the amount you covered your car for (up to $10,000) less any deductions.
(If car is damaged we may repair/pay less than $10,000.)​

3We keep you on the road if your car was stolen with a hire car that meets your needs until your car's returned undamaged or repaired or your claim is settled, to a maximum of 21 days.

4Left something in the car? We pay up to $500 for things that were in your car when the car was stolen, such as phones, laptops or clothing. (Exceptions apply such as cash and tools.)​

Insurance issued by AAI Limited ABN 48 005 297 807 trading as AAMI. Any advice has been prepared without taking into account your particular objectives, financial situation or needs, so you should consider whether it is appropriate for you before acting on it. Please read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement before you make any decision regarding this product. The Target Market Determination is also available. AAMI Roadside Assist an optional extra only available in conjunction with AAMI comprehensive car insurance. Terms and conditions for coverage apply.