What to do when you make a claim
At AAMI we understand that claims are usually made during a stressful time. That’s why we’ve put together this helpful guide to walk you through the AAMI claims process.
- Have your details ready – we'll need to know what happened, and any photos, videos or documents related to the event.
- Lodge your claim 24/7 – follow the guided prompts. Supply photos, docs and details where required.
- Assessment – we'll assist you in arranging the assessment and repairs process.
- Track your claim – track the progress of your claim at any time online, whether you lodged it online or by phone.
- Finalise your claim – we'll let you know the outcome of your claim and organise a settlement if applicable.
Checklist for home claims
Before you start your home claim, make sure you have on hand:
- Your policy number.
- Photos and videos of the damage. Don't throw away any damaged parts or items of the building without our consent unless it is necessary for health and safety reasons. This helps avoid any delays in the assessment of your claim.
- Proof of ownership of the damaged or lost item, which can be purchase receipts, original packaging with IMEI number, user manuals and certificates of valuation.
- A record of the value of your damaged or stolen items.
- A police reference number, if your home has been broken into. You should report the burglary to the police first before lodging a claim with us.
For a full description of what to do and what to avoid prior to making a claim, please check out your policy’s relevant Product Disclosure Statement.
Checklist for car claims
Before you start your car claim, make sure you have on hand:
- Your policy number.
- Photos and videos of the accident scene and damage to your vehicle.
- The details of other parties involved, including their contact details (full name and address), insurer, the make, model and colour of their car, and their car rego and license number.
- A record of the time, date, and location that the incident occurred, and details of what happened.
Hint: for many policies, you can do all this through the AAMI App, including upload photos directly from your phone. Handy, right?
- Home and Contents (including Building Only and Contents Only)
- Comprehensive Car
- Landlord (including Building Only and Contents Only)
- Comprehensive Motorcycle
- Business (Property only)
For all other insurance types, please call us a on 13 22 44.
Once you’ve lodged a claim, you want to know it’s being looked at, right? Simply login to your AAMI account to keep up to date and take control of your claim:
- View and manage your claim
- Book, view, and manage your vehicle assessment
- View details of your authorised repairer
- View and manage a hire car booking (if eligible)
- Pay your excess online
* The following personal insurance policy types can’t be tracked online: Contents Fire & Theft (renter's), Strata, International Travel or Compulsory Third Party (CTP).
We support you throughout the process of repairing or replacing any damaged items associated with a successful claim.
Repairs and replacements for motor claims
Regardless of whether you make a motor claim online or by phone, tracking any approved repairs or replacements is an easy online process.
Once a motor claim is approved, we‘ll connect you with one of our authorised repairers. We’ll let you know where to drop your vehicle off and you’ll get a notification when it’s ready to pick up.
That means after you've lodged your claim, you can sit back and let us handle things.
Regardless of whether you claim online or by phone, you can use AAMI Online to:
- View and change your vehicle assessment booking time
- View details of authorised repairer
- View live motor repair progress tracking
Repairs and replacements for home claims
When we repair or rebuild the damaged building covered under your policy, we guarantee the quality of workmanship of that work for the lifetime of the building as long as we authorise, arrange, and pay the builder or repairer directly for this work.
For a full description of what we will repair and what’s included in the repairs process for either a claim on your Home Building Insurance policy and/or your Home Contents Insurance policy, check out your relevant Product Disclosure Statement.
Remember that you can add optional AAMI Home Assist to your Home & Contents or Building policy to get help 24/7 if you have a home emergency and need a plumber, electrician, locksmith or carpenter. This is available 24 hours after adding the option to your policy, with some geographic limitations that can apply.
- AAMI's top home insurance claims in Australia – are you covered?
- How dash cams can affect your car insurance claim
- What happens when you’re in a car accident and not at fault?
Insurance is issued by AAI Limited ABN 48 005 297 807 trading as AAMI. Any advice has been prepared without taking into account your particular objectives, financial situation or needs, so you should consider whether it is appropriate for you before acting on it. Please read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement before you make any decision regarding this product. The Target Market Determination is also available.