Your browser version is no longer supported, so you may experience issues while using this site.
Please upgrade to a current browser to enjoy the best experience.
What to do when you make a claim
Whether your house has been broken into, or your car has been rear-ended at the traffic lights, you usually only claim on your insurance when something stressful has happened. That can make the claim process more stressful too, especially as you try to remember all the steps involved and hope that it won’t take too long.
We’ve put together a guide to making claims for two of our most popular policy types: Home and Car Insurance.
Checklist for making a claim
Your insurance provider should let you know what information they’ll need to process your claim. That being said, if you’re proactive and forthcoming with what you provide, you can potentially speed up the process.
Checklist for home claims
- Your policy number.
- Photos and videos of the damage, before you clean it up. It’s best not to dispose of any damaged items, too, as your insurer may assess it.
- Proof of ownership of what was stolen or damaged, which can be receipts (yes, electronic ones work too), original packaging, warranties, and user manuals.
- A record of the value of your damaged or stolen items.
- A police reference number, if your home has been broken into. You should report the burglary to the police first before lodging a claim with us.
Checklist for car claims
- Your policy number.
- Photos and videos of the accident scene and damage to your vehicle.
- The details of other parties involved, including their contact details (full name and address), insurer, the make, model and colour of their car, and their car rego and license number.
- A record of the time, date, and location that the incident occurred, and details of what happened.
Hint: For most policies, you can do all this through the AAMI App, including upload photos directly from your phone. Handy, right?
Ways to make a claim
For a lot of people, the most convenient way to make a claim is online. AAMI currently allows you to make a claim online for the following insurance policies:
- Home and Contents (including Building Only and Contents Only)
- Comprehensive Car
- Landlord (including Building Only and Contents Only)
- Comprehensive Motorcycle
- Business (Property only)
If you have any of these policies, you can easily make a claim online or using the AAMI App, at a time that suits you! Just prepare the items in the relevant checklist above, and our award-winning online claims process will guide you through, step by step.
For all other insurance types, please call us a on 13 22 44.
- How much should you insure your home for?
- How dash cams can affect your car insurance claim
- How to be ready for a jewellery insurance claim
Insurance is issued by AAI Limited ABN 48 005 297 807 AFSL 230859 (AAI) trading as AAMI. Read the Product Disclosure Statement before buying this insurance.
This advice has been prepared without taking into account your particular objectives, financial situations or needs, so you should consider whether it is appropriate for you before acting on it.