Your browser version is no longer supported, so you may experience issues while using this site.
Please upgrade to a current browser to enjoy the best experience.

Skip to content

AAMI's top home insurance claims in Australia – Are you covered?


Many homeowners across Australia made home and/or contents claims in 2020. Explore which claim types were most common.

Top AAMI Home and Contents Insurance claims in 2020

#1– Storm damage

Storm damage was the most common claim in 2020 for AAMI Home and Contents Insurance products, making up 33% of all claims. 


AAMI Home and Contents Insurance provides cover for loss or damage caused by storms and storm surge (including cyclones) as well as other insured events, like:

  • Flood
  • Lightning
  • Fire (including bushfire)
  • Tsunami
  • Earthquake
  • Theft or burglary
  • Accidental breakage of glass (optional cover for an extra premium)
  • Escape of liquid 
  • Impact
  • Damage by an animal
  • Explosion
  • Malicious acts and vandalism
  • Riot, civil commotion or public disturbance

For more details on what AAMI covers, check out our product disclosure statements.

Accidental damage insurance

Accidental damage made up 11% of all claims by AAMI Home and Contents Insurance customers in 2020!

AAMI offers Accidental Damage at Home as an optional cover that you can add to your Home and/or Contents Insurance policy for an additional premium. If you accidentally drop, knock, spill or damage something at home — and we all do! — this optional cover might help. See the PDS for details of terms, conditions, limits and exclusions. 

There is cover for accidental breakage of glass automatically included in AAMI Building Insurance, but you'll have to pay an excess if you claim. Excess-Free Glass is a new optional cover with AAMI. If you add Excess-Free Glass cover to your home insurance policy for an additional premium, the next time a cricket ball comes flying through your living room window you won’t need to pay an excess! This cover applies to certain fixed glass in things like windows, doors, skylights and shower screens. Limits and exclusions apply, so check out the PDS for more details.

Unfortunately, knowing which claims are most common doesn’t always mean you can avoid them – storms are going to hit from time to time! But it can help to ensure you have a level of cover that suits your home’s risk level, and help you avoid underinsuring

Get a quote online

How much should you insure your house for? 

The Australian Securities and Investments Commission state that up to 80% of homeowners are underinsured1. But what does that mean?

Underinsuring can be accidental or intentional. Accidental underinsurance might happen when someone underestimates the value of their property or contents and sets their sum insured too low, or if they estimate correctly at first but fail to bump their coverage up as the value of their home or contents increases. People may also underinsure to save on their insurance premiums.

If an insured event happens and the repair costs exceed the sum insured, you'll need to cover the balance of the repair costs above your sum insured.

There are a few things to consider when working out how much cover you need:

  • The price you paid for your home isn’t necessarily the same amount it would cost to rebuild it. You can use tools such as our home building and contents calculators to get an idea of how much it might cost to rebuild your home or replace your contents. 
  • Don’t set and forget. You might take out a home and contents policy when you first buy your home that fits you well. But every time you upgrade your fridge or furniture the replacement cost of your contents may increase. The same goes if you renovate or upgrade your home, so consider updating your policy in these situations.
  • Creating a home inventory is a great way to determine whether you’re underinsured and can also help to prove the value of certain items if you ever need to make a claim.

If you’re well prepared and covered up to the correct value, you hopefully won’t be left with any nasty surprises if you do make a claim. 

Try our Home Building and Contents Calculators

How to make an AAMI Home Insurance claim

We know how stressful it can be when the unexpected happens. That’s why we’ve created a simple online claims process – to make your life a little bit easier when it matters most. Lodge your claim online or via the AAMI App and you'll be guided through each step.

Make a claim

Read more: 

Insurance is issued by AAI Limited ABN 48 005 297 807 AFSL 230859 trading as AAMI. Any advice has been prepared without taking into account your particular objectives, financial situation or needs, so you should consider whether it is appropriate for you before acting on it. Please read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement before you make any decision regarding this product. The information is intended to be of a general nature only. We do not accept any legal responsibility for any loss incurred as a result of reliance upon it – please make your own enquiries. The Target Market Determination is also available.